Geographic location: Conc 14, Lot 19 Monmouth
Current site address: 1284 Essonville Line, Essonville, Ontario
Date range:1888 - circa1968
Interesting facts:This church was built using pine trees located on its site and sawn at Richard Dunford's sawmill in South Wilberforce. The leaded glass windows and bell were brought from England. The glass is believed to have been ordered by Rev Arthur E Whatham, the first minister who came from England.
The church was decommissioned in the late 1960's but restored by members of the community as a non-denominational church. The movement to hold an annual memorial service at the church every summer was suggested by Mrs. Mary McCrea and Mrs Amelia Sibley. This service is still ongoing. It was decided the proceeds from this service should be directed toward restoring the stained glass windows. The committee was formed to start work on the project. Paul Way, who lived near, was willing to take the window project on as he worked with stained glass.
The building committee still exists and with considerable help from the Municipality of Highlands East, many improvements have been made in the restoration and upkeep of this beautiful part of our history.
Still exists?: Yes
Public access?: Yes
Current use: It offers services twice a year in August and December and is available for funerals and weddings
Information submitted by: 2015 Doors Open Highlands East brochure, Joan Noble.
Photo information & source:
1. Essonville Church showing Mathias Rowbotham with a team of oxen. Source Joan Noble
2. Essonville Historic Church Source Essonville Historic Church Committee